When You Need a Marijuana Possession Lawyer in Georgia
Cannabis charges are often prosecuted with harsh penalties in Georgia. With a skilled possession lawyer on your side, you stand a solid chance of preserving your rights, freedom, and future.
Marijuana Possession Lawyer
If you are searching for a marijuana possession lawyer in Georgia, something went wrong. With the ever-changing state drug laws, it becomes increasingly difficult to know where cannabis is legal for medicinal purposes and where it isn’t. If you have been charged with violating Georgia drug possession laws, it’s time to contact a marijuana lawyer in Georgia.
Fighting a possession charge can be complicated, and it requires years of experience within the legal community. If you’ve been charged with possession or trafficking marijuana, contact the Waltman Firm for a free consultation.
The Best Marijuana Defense Attorney for Your Defense
Due to state drug laws’ complex and evolving nature, you want the best marijuana defense attorney if you are charged. Legalizing marijuana has been a hot topic in recent years. The United States is divided on the issue: while some states have legalized the drug for medicinal use, others still consider it a crime and have serious consequences.
It’s important to remember that Georgia marijuana laws consider it a controlled substance and that illegal possession is punishable. However, many resources are available if you’ve been charged with possession of marijuana or drug trafficking in Atlanta. Therefore, if you or a loved one has been charged with possession of marijuana in the state of Georgia, you need to speak to an experienced and aggressive attorney right away.
Marijuana Possession Penalties
The penalties for cannabis possession can range from months in jail thousands of dollars in fines, probation, and driver’s license suspension or revocation. These penalties vary depending on the amount of marijuana possessed at the time of the arrest. But, possessing marijuana is at least a misdemeanor offense. Having one ounce of marijuana or less in your possession can result in up to one year in county jail and up to $1,000 in fines. If not handled correctly, these charges could also lead to a suspension of one’s driver’s license for at least six months.
While these charges are often considered minor offenses by prosecutors and law enforcement, they should be taken seriously by anyone charged with them.
However, possession of more than one ounce of marijuana will most likely result in felony charges. These charges carry at least one and a maximum penalty of 10 years in state prison along with hefty fines. But, that is not all. A felony possession conviction will stay on the individual’s permanent criminal record.
The marijuana cases may not be as severe as trafficking or distribution charges, but they can still put you behind bars for years, damage your reputation, and cost you thousands of dollars in fines. Don’t take chances with your freedom. Schedule a free consultation with us today to speak with a marijuana defense lawyer who has had great success defending people against these exact charges in the courts throughout Georgia.
Qualities of a Good Lawyer for Marijuana Charges
Since it’s never a good idea to deal with charges independently, you need a good lawyer for marijuana charges with excellent experience in dealing with such cases. It is essential to hire an attorney who regularly represents people in drug possession cases.
- Great Experience: A person charged with possession of marijuana can be charged either with a misdemeanor or felony based on the amount of the drug found in their possession. The Georgia drug penalties depend on the charge. The right to counsel is available in all legal proceedings, including permanent criminal records and civil trials and appeals; however, the right to appointed counsel exists only if the defendant faces actual imprisonment if convicted. Therefore, it is vital to hire an experienced attorney who has handled such cases before.
- Compassionate and Understanding: Lawyers who have compassion and understanding for their clients will take the time to examine all aspects of a case, from evidence to witnesses. An attorney client relationship helps the attorney understand what their clients are going through. This makes them better able to defend their clients in court.
- Knowledgeable about Georgia Laws: Each state has its laws regarding marijuana possession, which can change over time. A good lawyer knows Georgia drug trafficking laws and understands how they apply to their client’s specific case.
- Able to Communicate Effectively: Good communication is vital when lawyers need information from their clients. They should explain legal procedures and issues clearly so that their clients understand what they’re facing, what options they have, and what the right course of action is for them.
These are just some of the qualities of a good lawyer for handling marijuana charges of possession and trafficking.
How to Get a Good Marijuana Possession Lawyer
You can get a good marijuana lawyer in Georgia by searching online, but you should focus on those with extensive experience who practice drug possession cases. Ask for references from other clients. Many attorneys will provide free consultations to potential clients, so make sure you take advantage of this opportunity.
Why You Should Hire a Marijuana Possession Attorney
A marijuana lawyer in Georgia may not be something you think about. However, if you have a loved one who has been arrested and charged with possession of marijuana, you need to hire a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
It is critical to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney who knows the laws in Georgia. They will provide you with information that will help you understand the charges against your loved ones and the potential penalties they may face.
If you face marijuana possession penalties, you should not delay hiring an attorney. If it is the first offense, you may be able to avoid jail time and get probation. However, if it’s your second or subsequent offense, you may have to spend up to two years in jail if convicted. An excellent criminal defense attorney can help reduce the penalty imposed by the court and avoid jail time altogether if possible.
Benefits of Hiring a Marijuana Possession Attorney
There are several benefits of hiring a marijuana possession attorney. You have rights when it comes to criminal record charges of any type, including felony charges of possession of marijuana. A skilled attorney can ensure that these rights are upheld and that you’re treated fairly under the law. They will also aid in:
- Investigating your case to determine the right approach to take with your defense
- Collecting evidence that supports your innocence or reduces your charges
- Negotiating with prosecutors on your behalf
- Protecting you from potentially false testimony or illegal police procedures
Your attorney can make all the difference in your case. Most people who attempt to handle it themselves end up losing their freedom. A qualified lawyer will fight for you, ensuring that doesn’t happen. If you’re facing marijuana possession charges in Georgia, contact an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
Best Marijuana Possession Law Firms
The best marijuana possession law firms are licensed to practice law in Georgia. They make it their job to know the rules and statutes governing a marijuana possession charge. They have over a decade of experience applying the law to each client’s unique set of circumstances.
They recognize that there is nothing simple about being charged with drug crimes. Schedule your free consultation with the marijuana possession lawyers of the Waltman Firm. They will work with you to determine just how serious your situation is and how we can help you resolve it. This may include dismissing the charges against you, negotiating lesser charges, or fighting the allegations in court.